Tobago Correspondent
Thirty cabins were made available to truckers aboard yesterday’s sailing of the MV Golden Carrier from Trinidad to Tobago.
T&T Seabridge Truckers Ltd president Nicholas Manswell confirmed the development, noting some of the cabins can accommodate up to four people.
The Golden Carrier has 70 cabins, three fewer than the MV Blue Wave Harmony, which was withdrawn from service in July for maintenance and upgrades.
Truckers had previously complained about inadequate accommodation aboard the Blue Wave despite the vessel having 73 cabins. The Golden Carrier continues to operate under a US$25,000-per-day charter agreement.
Manswell said they have been working closely with the Port Authority to ensure truckers are comfortable during the inter-island journey.
The issue gained renewed attention on Tuesday when PNM Tobago Council leader Shamfa Cudjoe-Lewis criticised the treatment of truckers after posting a video showing several of them sleeping on the floor aboard the vessel.
Despite the Port Authority describing the Golden Carrier as a superior vessel, truckers say their accommodation arrangements have not improved.
In a Facebook post on Tuesday, Cudjoe-Lewis called on the Port Authority to say why cabin allocations were not regularised.
“Why are our hardworking truckers, businessmen, husbands and sons being reduced to this?” she asked.
She also claimed truckers were told not to sleep on the floor.
“So where exactly are they supposed to sleep? In those hard chairs from 11 pm to 6 am?” she questioned.
She accused the Tobago House of Assembly (THA) of remaining silent while Tobagonians were being disrespected.
“Our THA administration and their UNC friends in Trinidad told Tobagonians that this vessel was an improvement. The Minister of Works and Transport would now have us believe that what we are experiencing is somehow normal,” she said.
She called on Chief Secretary Farley Augustine and Tobago MPs David Thomas and Joel Sampson to address the matter.
“Somebody has to stand up for Tobago. Somebody has to speak up for our people. And bet your bottom dollar I will. The PNM will. And right-thinking Tobagonians should not be afraid to speak up too,” she said.
Questions to the Port Authority and Augustine on the situation received no response up to press time.
