Senior Reporter
annalisa.paul@guardian.co.tt
It has been almost four months since Joshua Samaroo was killed by police during a dramatic confrontation in St Augustine, an incident that sparked public outrage and widespread criticism of the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS).
However, the public is still awaiting updates from investigating authorities, including the TTPS and the Police Complaints Authority.
Although Police Commissioner Allister Guevarro indicated on March 25 that the TTPS investigation had been completed, he said one final document was still needed before the file could be forwarded to the Director of Public Prosecutions.
Guardian Media has learned that the outstanding document is the Forensic Analysis Report being prepared by officials at the Forensic Science Centre (FSC) in St James.
Guevarro last week confirmed that there had been no change in the matter, while PCA Director David West said the authority’s investigation remains ongoing.
Director of Public Prosecutions Roger Gaspard, SC, also confirmed: “The police are still awaiting documents from Forensic.”
Calls to FSC director Derrick Sankar went unanswered yesterday.
Meanwhile, Samaroo’s girlfriend, Kaia Sealy, 24, continues her daily struggle to recover from injuries sustained during the incident, which left her paralysed.
Samaroo, 31, was shot multiple times by police officers on January 20 at the corner of Bassie Street Extension and Dookiesingh Street in St Augustine.
A video recording that later surfaced allegedly showed the father of two holding his hands outside the vehicle window in an apparent sign of surrender when officers opened fire.
Samaroo and Sealy were both rushed to hospital, where Samaroo was pronounced dead. Sealy, a hairdresser and mother of one, underwent treatment and remained warded.
She has since been unable to walk and continues to undergo daily physical therapy.
