Shane Superville
Senior Reporter
shane.superville@guardian.co.tt
Three home invasions within a matter of hours on Wednesday morning have pushed the number of such incidents reported this year to 210, as bandits targeted homes in Barrackpore, Tobago and Diego Martin, police said.
In the first incident, a 50-year-old Special Reserve Police (SRP) officer was asleep at his Barrackpore home around 1.10 am when he woke up to the sound of his dog barking.
On checking, he saw a bandit wearing a ski mask standing in his kitchen.
The officer pulled out his licensed Glock 19 pistol and fired four shots at the bandit, who escaped by jumping out of a nearby window and running away.
Police said the bandit tried to steal a quantity of power tools from a toolshed at the side of the house, but was unable to take them before being confronted.
Hours later, at around 4 am a 50-year-old businessman was beaten and robbed at his Bagatelle No 1, Calder Hall, Tobago home.
Police said the man was awakened by a blow to his head and noticed a man in a black hoodie and mask standing over him with a rifle.
Police said the man and his son were robbed of two bags, one of which contained $3,400 in cash and US $14,000.
Shortly after, at around 5.15 am, a 26-year-old man was asleep at his Covigne Road, Diego Martin home, when he heard someone banging on the front door and voices identifying themselves as police officers.
The men then stormed the house and ordered him to lie on the floor as they kicked him in the head while demanding money.
Investigators said the bandits wore masks and black tactical clothing, with at least one of the suspects also wearing a bulletproof vest bearing the markings “Police.”
The bandits stole $500 in cash, a gold chain worth $75,000 and a gold wristband worth $30,000 before escaping.
These incidents followed a similar cluster of home invasions reported over the last weekend and into Monday morning.
Early on Monday morning, a Manzanilla family was attacked and robbed at their home; while hours earlier on Sunday, a contractor and relative were robbed at their Cacandee Road, Felicity home by what police described as “Spanish-speaking men.”
On Saturday night, a 63-year-old man fled a bandit at his Realise Road, Lengua Village, Princes Town home.
Speaking with Guardian Media yesterday, one official from the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service Corporate Communications Unit said that since the Home Invasion Act was proclaimed in January of this year, it was still a relatively new form of legislation and could not be compared to previous incidents.
Before the proclamation of the act, crimes now categorised as home invasions were legally defined as burglaries, housebreakings or larceny dwelling house, depending on the circumstances of the incident, including the time and whether anyone was at home or assaulted at the time of the thefts.
While responding to oral questions during a sitting of the Lower House in May, Homeland Security Minister Roger Alexander reported that as of April 19 there were 69 reports of home invasion.
At this time, he added that 25 people were charged with home invasions.
Months later in July, Alexander told reporters that he felt the Home Invasion legislation was working, noting that the law empowered the public to defend themselves, which he said would send a strong message to criminals.
TTPS: Stand Your Ground not a license to kill
Speaking on CNC3’s The Morning Brew programme yesterday, TTPS Media Ambassador ASP Owie Russell stressed that while citizens had a right to defend themselves from criminals, any response to an attack should be proportional to the threat they face.
He said while attacks from bandits can stir strong feelings, it was important for the public to consider the legal repercussions they could face if they use excessive force.
Russell said that while he sympathised with people who were victims of crime before and understood that some people would be eager to respond violently to criminals, they themselves could face prosecution if they used excessive force.
“You must be able to stand that scrutiny when the (police) investigation takes place.
“You are not mandated to retreat... we want you to defend yourself, but we must be proportionate defence based on what you honestly believe, so even if it goes before a court, the Judge, the Master, the magistrate can say, ‘Based on what is before me I am satisfied you acted proportionally.”
In terms of what would qualify as a proportionate response, Russell said someone trespassing onto your property by itself was not sufficient grounds to respond with deadly force.
“Someone jumping into your yard does not give you the license to kill that person. “
Dr Rampersad: Home Invasion legislation must work with other initiatives
Speaking with Guardian Media yesterday, political scientist and senior lecturer at the University of the West Indies (UWI) Dr Indira Rampersad said while the continued reports of home invasions were “worrying,” she still felt that the Home Invasion law was necessary as it should work in tandem with other crime-fighting initiatives including the roll-out of police posts and Stand Your Ground legislation.
“Under no circumstances will I say the legislation is a waste of time... I think it is a useful legislation but it must go hand-in-hand with the firearms possession so citizens can protect themselves, the Stand Your Ground legislation and I think also there are additional measures that need to be taken and I think the police posts is a welcome one, however I think they need more police posts.”
Dr Rampersad also suggested that once the posts were operational, there should be some means of direct communication between the officers assigned to these units and the public.
She said Stand Your Ground legislation was a particularly important feature of crime-fighting as she felt several criminals were mindful of the response times of police to such emergencies.
