JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

UNC unremorseful about its role in crashed Petrotrin deal

by

241 days ago
20240805
Opposition Senator Wade Mark speaks to journalists during the UNC’s media conference at their headquarters in Chaguanas yesterday.

Opposition Senator Wade Mark speaks to journalists during the UNC’s media conference at their headquarters in Chaguanas yesterday.

KERWIN PIERRE

Se­nior Re­porter

derek.achong@guardian.co.tt

The Unit­ed Na­tion­al Con­gress (UNC) will not apol­o­gise for its pur­port­ed role in dis­suad­ing In­di­an in­dus­tri­al­ist Naveen Jin­dal from in­vest­ing in the moth­balled Petrotrin oil re­fin­ery.

Speak­ing at the par­ty’s week­ly press brief­ing at its head­quar­ters in Ch­agua­nas yes­ter­day, Op­po­si­tion Sen­a­tor Wade Mark dis­missed crit­i­cism from Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley over ques­tions it had raised about Jin­dal af­ter he vis­it­ed T&T to hold dis­cus­sions over the re­fin­ery in June.

Mark’s com­ments on the is­sue came hours af­ter Row­ley re­vealed that Jin­dal, chair­man of Jin­dal Steel and Pow­er Ltd, had with­drawn his in­ter­est, al­leged­ly due to at­tacks on him by the Op­po­si­tion. Row­ley made the rev­e­la­tion at the Peo­ple’s Na­tion­al Move­ment’s Diego Mar­tin West 51st con­stituen­cy con­fer­ence on Fri­day.

Mark claimed the Op­po­si­tion was sim­ply per­form­ing its du­ty when it raised con­cerns over Jin­dal fac­ing cor­rup­tion and mon­ey laun­der­ing charges in In­dia, al­leg­ing that he bribed a gov­ern­ment min­is­ter for coal min­ing con­ces­sions.

“It is our du­ty and re­spon­si­bil­i­ty as the Op­po­si­tion and the al­ter­na­tive gov­ern­ment and the gov­ern­ment in wait­ing to raise is­sues sur­round­ing the pub­lic in­ter­est,” Mark said.

“We are stand­ing in a gap be­tween a cor­rupt, ly­ing and thiev­ing ad­min­is­tra­tion and the peo­ple’s wel­fare, safe­ty and se­cu­ri­ty in T&T.”

Mark de­nied al­le­ga­tions that the UNC was in­tent on de­tract­ing for­eign in­vest­ment be­ing sought by Gov­ern­ment.

“Noth­ing could be fur­ther from the truth be­cause un­der the UNC, led by the ho­n­ourable Kam­la Per­sad-Bisses­sar as our prime min­is­ter, we at­tract­ed bil­lions of dol­lars in di­rect for­eign in­vest­ment. That is our record,” he claimed, with­out di­rect­ly iden­ti­fy­ing any par­tic­u­lar project.

Mark said he was con­cerned that Row­ley and his Cab­i­net had failed to per­form due dili­gence checks on Jin­dal be­fore en­ter­ing in­to the dis­cus­sions. He claimed the in­for­ma­tion could have been ob­tained through a sim­ple in­ter­net search.

“I am not cast­ing any as­per­sions on any­one but I find it strange that the Gov­ern­ment of this coun­try find them­selves be­ing as­so­ci­at­ed with some very ques­tion­able and sus­pi­cious char­ac­ters and com­pa­nies whose track records in terms of per­for­mance leaves a lot to be de­sired,” he said.

Mark point­ed to a do­na­tion of rice and cook­ing oil gift­ed to this coun­try by the Haryana State Co­op­er­a­tive Sup­ply and Mar­ket­ing Lim­it­ed (HAFED) and an­nounced by Row­ley at a post-Cab­i­net press brief­ing last month.

Mark claimed Jin­dal had close ties to an of­fi­cial of that com­pa­ny.

Ref­er­enc­ing re­ports of the deal­ings of Jind­lal’s com­pa­ny in Bo­livia, Mark ques­tioned the do­na­tion, which is ex­pect­ed to be dis­trib­uted to the needy in T&T.

“This is what is go­ing on here. That is part of the play­book of the Jin­dal group,” Mark said.

He al­so ques­tioned whether Jind­lal’s in­ter­est in the re­fin­ery was gen­uine.

“If we take what has hap­pened in Bo­livia and we trans­late it to T&T, it is the same play­book. He had no in­ten­tion in in­vest­ing in T&T,” Mark said.

In his state­ment, Row­ley sug­gest­ed that it was the Op­po­si­tion that was re­spon­si­ble for Jin­dal com­mu­ni­cat­ing his de­ci­sion on Ju­ly 26.

“This is an in­vestor who was pre­pared to con­sid­er putting in a bid in the of­fer of ap­prox­i­mate­ly US$700 mil­lion to bring that re­fin­ery in­to op­er­a­tion, and the on­ly peo­ple in this coun­try who don’t want that to hap­pen is a hand­ful of politi­cians who don’t care if you eat the bread the dev­il knead be­cause they pre­fer to have the re­fin­ery there talk­ing stu­pid­ness about it than to see it see it re-start­ed and op­er­at­ed in a dif­fer­ent way for the ben­e­fit of the peo­ple of T&T,” he said.

Row­ley al­so sought to ex­plain why Jin­dal’s of­fer ap­peared to be more favourable than oth­er bids re­ject­ed by Gov­ern­ment for the re­fin­ery, which was moth­balled when for­mer State oil com­pa­ny Petrotrin was re­struc­tured in late 2018.

“One of the rea­sons why the re­fin­ery was a mon­ey los­er was be­cause it was ob­so­lete and to bring it back in­to op­er­a­tion, it means that you have to up­grade it sig­nif­i­cant­ly,” he said.

“One of the up­grades in­cludes putting in mod­ern tech­nol­o­gy be­cause some of those di­als are 100 years old. You would have to spend some sig­nif­i­cant mon­ey on the phys­i­cal man­age­ment of the re­fin­ery and this is from a com­pa­ny that has the abil­i­ty to do it. Not like some peo­ple who want the re­fin­ery and can­not pay their lawyers,” he added.

Jin­dal re­port­ed­ly at­trib­uted his de­ci­sion to the Op­po­si­tion’s stance in his let­ter.

“It is with great dis­ap­point­ment, there­fore, that I must ad­dress the re­ac­tion led by the of­fi­cial Op­po­si­tion par­ties fol­low­ing our vis­it,” Jin­dal said.

“The char­ac­ter as­sas­si­na­tion I ex­pe­ri­enced mere­ly for con­sid­er­ing the in­vest­ment op­por­tu­ni­ty in the Guaracara re­fin­ery was deeply dis­heart­en­ing and dis­cour­ag­ing,” he added.

He al­so claimed his ex­pe­ri­ence may al­so de­ter oth­er po­ten­tial in­vestors.

“More­over, the un­just at­tacks di­rect­ed at our Group’s com­pa­nies, en­ti­ties that op­er­ate in­de­pen­dent­ly and are un­con­nect­ed to le­gal mat­ters mis­char­ac­terised in the lo­cal press and par­lia­ment, set a trou­bling prece­dent for po­ten­tial in­vestors plan­ning to in­vest in Trinidad and To­ba­go,” Jin­dal said.

Mark al­so raised ques­tions about the sale of Cli­co’s 56.53 per cent share­hold­ing in Methanol Hold­ings In­ter­na­tion­al Ltd (MHIL) to Con­sol­i­dat­ed En­er­gy Lim­it­ed, a sub­sidiary of Swiss-based Pro­man Group.

Mark sug­gest­ed that the US$347 mil­lion ($2.35 bil­lion) paid for the stake was un­der the mar­ket val­ue of shares based on pre­vi­ous val­u­a­tion re­ports. He called for the dis­clo­sure of all doc­u­ments re­lat­ed to the deal.

He al­so called on Row­ley to not sell any ma­jor Gov­ern­ment as­sets be­fore the 2025 gen­er­al elec­tions.

“You are on your last days. You are the out­go­ing prime min­is­ter. Keep your dirty paws off the peo­ple’s as­sets,” he said.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored