Senior Reporter
otto.carrington@cnc3.co.tt
Wrecking operations are set to return to Port-of-Spain, as the City Corporation announced yesterday that enforcement will resume across the downtown business district starting Monday.
According to a public notice from the corporation’s chief executive officer, the initiative targets unauthorised or improperly parked vehicles in the busy commercial zone. Under the scheme, all towed vehicles will be taken to the South Quay Carpark Facility for storage.
Motorists were urged to park legally to avoid removal and the associated fees for recovering a wrecked vehicle. The corporation also reminded drivers that compliance with existing parking regulations remains mandatory.
The move has drawn criticism from business representatives, who argue that the city’s parking regulations remain unclear.
Gregory Aboud, president of the Downtown Owners and Merchants Association (DOMA), said:
“Port-of-Spain does not have clearly defined parking regulations. We have made this point repeatedly, including in recent meetings with the new minister. We desperately want to discuss a parking plan and an agreed-upon, mutually beneficial set of rules that ensures smooth traffic flow while also providing convenience for shoppers in the city.”
Aboud added that overly strict enforcement could deter shoppers and further harm the downtown area.
“A quick drive through the city of Port-of-Spain shows what we are talking about. Buildings for sale or rent highlight the lack of attractiveness to customers. This is not a new issue. Wrecking now feels like squeezing the last ounce of juice out of an orange that has already been squeezed many times,” he said.
Wrecking in Port-of-Spain has a long history of starts and stops. The practice was suspended for several years following public complaints about the towing of legally parked cars and remained inactive during the COVID-19 pandemic.
A planned resumption in June 2022 was postponed, but operations eventually restarted on May 29, 2024, with 537 vehicles towed by July that year. Since then, enforcement has focused on the downtown area, Ariapita Avenue, and St James, with vehicles initially impounded at Dock Road.
