Senior Reporter/Producer
gyasi.merrique@cnc3.co.tt
By any measure, 20 years is a long time, but in the world of elite sport, it can amount to an overlap of generations. Take, for instance, the Trinidad and Tobago Red Force team’s ascension to regional four-day cricket champions for the first time in two decades, which featured only two players who were 15 years old or older in 2006, when the team last won the tournament. Evin Lewis was 15 at the time, and Jason Mohammed was 20. Incidentally, Mohammed debuted in that 2006 team, which also contained current head coach Rayad Emrit. Ironically, both Mohammed and Lewis chose to retire from first-class cricket at the end of this season following victory over the Guyana Harpy Eagles in the 2026 West Indies Championship final at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, Antigua, on Wednesday.
Additionally, of this year’s title-winning 13, seven of them were ten years or younger and possibly may not even remember the heroics of the 2006 team.
Within the two decades since, countless players, coaches, staff members, and even administrators have endeavoured without attaining the ultimate success, but their efforts were appreciated by those at a welcome reception at the VIP Lounge at the Piarco International Airport on Thursday, especially Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board president Azim Bassarath.
“This victory was long in coming. Many people will celebrate the trophy today, but those of us who have walked this journey know the sacrifices, disappointments, and near misses. That came before this moment,” said Bassarath.
He went on, “Twenty years is a long time for a cricketing nation with the history, talent and pride of Trinidad and Tobago. Many great players have worn this jersey over the years and came close. But this group of players and management have now etched their names into the history books by bringing this prestigious title back home where it belongs.”
Similarly, Bassarath said the more recent groundwork that has gone into shaping this championship team also deserves recognition. He emphasised that arriving at the trophy for the first time in two decades was no coincidence.
He said, “Far too often, the work behind the scenes goes unnoticed, but this championship was built on planning, structure, preparation and sacrifice. This year, the players and management made a collective decision that they would leave absolutely nothing to chance. During the preparation period, several requests were made by the team and management to ensure that every possible resource was available to give this team the best opportunity to succeed.”
He said, “This success did not begin this week, this month, last month or last year. The groundwork for this achievement was laid years ago, with the support and vision of former Minister of Sports Shamfa Cudjoe and former Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago chairman Douglas Camacho, who ensured that the team received the assistance necessary to prepare properly since 2019. That support continues under the current chairman, Mr Kester Lendor; vice chairman, Mr. Shaun Teekasingh; director, Adrian Ali; and the present SporTT board, and it will be remiss of me not to publicly acknowledge and thank them for their continued commitment to Trinidad and Tobago cricket.”
In listing those deserving of credit beyond the players and staff, Bassarath highlighted the national team selectors and commended the Sport Development Unit (SPDU) of the Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago (SporTT) “for the tremendous support they provided.”
