Majority state-owned Caribbean Airlines Ltd will stop flying to three destinations and reduce service to two more from June 1, as the airline seeks to cut loss-generating routes, effectively reversing the route expansion undertaken by the previous administration.
In a statement in the Senate yesterday, Minister of Transportation and Civil Aviation, Eli Zakour, said to stem ongoing losses, CAL has been directed to undertake several adjustments to its network:
• Withdrawal from the Dominica market, which has incurred an overall loss of US$0.73 million as at April 2026;
• Withdrawal from the St Kitts market; which has incurred an overall loss of US$1.65 million as at April 2026;
• Discontinue the non-stop Guyana and Suriname service; which has incurred an overall loss of US$1.24 million as at April 2026; and
• Reduce service frequencies to Martinique and Guadeloupe from four weekly flights to two; these routes generated losses of US$1.23 million (Martinique) and US$1.86 million (Guadeloupe), respectively.
In the statement, Zakour noted that in 2023, under the direction of the previous board of directors and with the support of the then Government, CAL embarked on an expansion into the Eastern Caribbean.
“While the stated objectives of strengthening regional connectivity, supporting tourism, and facilitating trade were sound in principle, the projections underpinning route selection, market sizing, and financial assumptions supporting that expansion have since proven significantly different than the actual market conditions,” the minister said.
Zakour said the current administration set up a routes oversight committee last year to conduct a comprehensive review of route performance, profitability and strategic alignment. That review has confirmed that several routes launched under the 2023 expansion programme “were introduced without adequate commercial justification and have generated sustained financial losses for the company since inception.
He said as part of the airline’s ongoing network improvement programme, several adjustments have already been implemented. These included the discontinuation of the following routes:
Jamaica—Ft Lauderdale from November 2, 2025, which generated US$7.2 million in losses; and
Trinidad—Puerto Rico from January 10, 2026, which generated US$4.92 million in losses;
Zakour said the combined loss sustained on these routes as at April 2026 is US$18.84 million or in excess of TTD$128 million.
“The discontinuation and service adjustments to the routes will allow these losses to be converted into operational savings and improved financial stability,” said the minister.
