Jesse Ramdeo
Senior Reporter
jesse.ramdeo@cnc3.co.tt
Former Police Commissioner Gary Griffith is calling on the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service to justify the decision to charge the girlfriend of deceased shooting victim Joshua Samaroo, warning that public confidence in law enforcement has already been severely damaged.
And the Police Complaints Authority has reiterated its call for police officers to wear body cameras on duty.
Yesterday, the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service announced that, acting on the advice of Director of Public Prosecutions Roger Gaspard, investigators had obtained warrants for Kaia Sealy’s arrest in connection with the January 20 incident.
According to the police statement, Sealy is wanted for three counts of shooting with intent to cause grievous bodily harm against police officers and for manslaughter, alleging that Sealy unlawfully killed Samaroo during the incident, along with several other related offences. The TTPS said the warrants have not yet been executed.
Speaking with Guardian Media yesterday, Griffith said the police must provide a “very good reason” for the charges laid against Kaia Sealy, particularly given the public scrutiny surrounding the January 20 police-involved shooting in St Augustine.
“Well, unfortunately, at this time, even before that police statement, public trust and confidence in the police service has been at an all-time low, even though certain persons continue to blow a trumpet to state that crime has been declining,” Griffith said.
He noted that the public had demanded accountability after video footage circulated online, appearing to show police officers firing multiple shots at the vehicle while the occupants had their hands raised.
“Every single person would have known and seen police officers riddling a car like a strainer whilst the individuals had their hands in the air, surrendering,” Griffith stated.
The former top cop also criticised the response of current Police Commissioner Allister Guevarro, claiming he had previously indicated there was no reason for action to be taken against the officers involved. Griffith argued that the perceived lack of action by the police leadership further eroded public confidence in the service.
Griffith said while he did not want to jeopardise any ongoing investigations, the police now have a responsibility to clearly explain the basis for the charges against Sealy.
“If it is that now the girlfriend has also been charged, again, the police, I would not want to see anything and jeopardise an investigation whilst the matter, again, it can very well go before the courts, but the police must give very good reason to justify this charge, and hopefully, I hope that they do,” he said.
Meanwhile, in a media release last night, the PCA said incidents of this nature continue to highlight the importance of body-worn cameras for police officers, adding that such devices can provide an objective record of events and help reduce discrepancies and speculation surrounding incidents.
The PCA said despite the absence of body-worn camera footage in this case, investigators are continuing to examine other evidence collected during the probe to gain greater clarity on the sequence of events.
