JavaScript is disabled in your web browser or browser is too old to support JavaScript. Today almost all web pages contain JavaScript, a scripting programming language that runs on visitor's web browser. It makes web pages functional for specific purposes and if disabled for some reason, the content or the functionality of the web page can be limited or unavailable.

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Attorneys step in to assist evicted Sando families

by

234 days ago
20240812
Mickela Panday, political leader of the Patriotic Front, speaks with Faith Noray during her visit to the evicted family yesterday.

Mickela Panday, political leader of the Patriotic Front, speaks with Faith Noray during her visit to the evicted family yesterday.

RISHI RAGOONATH

Se­nior Mul­ti­me­dia Re­porter

rad­hi­ca.sookraj@guardian.co.tt

 

Two at­tor­neys have come for­ward to as­sist Faith No­ray, a preg­nant woman, and 11 oth­ers who were evict­ed from their homes in San Fer­nan­do, by the Hous­ing De­vel­op­ment Cor­po­ra­tion (HDC) last Thurs­day.

The res­i­dents claim the homes and the land where they are lo­cat­ed are not owned by the HDC.

Mick­ela Pan­day, leader of the Pa­tri­ot­ic Front, and a team com­pris­ing Michelle An­toine, Afi­fah Mo­hammed, and Ake­ba Wil­son, vis­it­ed the fam­i­lies and of­fered sup­port and guid­ance. She ex­pressed dis­ap­point­ment at the man­ner of the evic­tion, par­tic­u­lar­ly for No­ray, who is due to give birth next week.

“What right and au­thor­i­ty does the HDC have? I don’t know, so I can’t give an an­swer. What I do know is that this is not an HDC de­vel­op­ment, and these res­i­dents have been here for a long time,” she asked

Pan­day said she did not know the de­tails of the in­ci­dent and could not of­fer le­gal coun­sel un­til an in­ves­ti­ga­tion was done. She said if the res­i­dents were slat­ed to be re­lo­cat­ed, it should have been done in a fair and just man­ner.

Op­po­si­tion Sen­a­tor Sean Sobers has al­so stepped for­ward to as­sist, while Mara­bel­la West Coun­cil­lor John Michael Al­i­bo­cas, who has sub­mit­ted his nom­i­na­tion to con­test the San Fer­nan­do West seat for the UNC, said the evict­ed res­i­dents reached out to him on Sat­ur­day.

“I re­ceived nu­mer­ous phone calls from per­sons in Em­ba­cadere, In­de­pen­dence Av­enue, and La­dy Hailes Av­enue, in­form­ing me that they had been evict­ed from their homes, which some of them have lived in for over 20 years. Grow­ing up with some of these per­sons, I im­me­di­ate­ly went to see them and at­tempt­ed to help with their cir­cum­stances,” Al­i­bo­cas said.

“What was most heart­break­ing for me was the evic­tion of a preg­nant woman and many ten­der-aged chil­dren.”

Al­i­bo­cas said he took videos and pic­tures of the res­i­dents’ be­long­ings, as well as their doc­u­ments, and hand­ed every­thing over to lawyers at­tached to the UNC to de­ter­mine what ac­tion could be tak­en.

“This is tru­ly un­for­tu­nate and heart-wrench­ing, as we are in the rainy sea­son, and these peo­ple have lost one of their most ba­sic hu­man rights, which is a roof over their heads,” he said.

One of the evict­ed res­i­dents, Nar­ine Ram­cha­ran, said the evic­tion no­tices served by the HDC did not have the cor­rect ad­dress­es, rais­ing ques­tions about the le­git­i­ma­cy of the process.


Related articles

Sponsored

Weather

PORT OF SPAIN WEATHER

Sponsored