A teacher at St Mary’s College, Port-of-Spain, has been asked to cease to report for duty after an allegation of misconduct was levelled against him by the Ministry of Education.
The alleged sexual misconduct was said to have occurred between the teacher and a student back in March.
And even though several internal investigations were reportedly conducted by school officials—Guardian understands the matter was not brought to the attention of the Teaching Service Commission (TSC) until mid-August.
This came days before the new academic term was set to begin on September 2.
Acting immediately on the information received, the TSC reportedly instructed that a cease to report for duty letter be issued to the teacher.
Having been handed the letter on August 30, provincial officials yesterday confirmed the teacher had not been to the school since.
Officials yesterday confirmed the matter had also been reported to the Child Protection Unit of the Police Service.
Contacted yesterday, Father Gregory Augustine, Provincial, Holy Ghost Fathers—assured the administration of the school’s syllabus was continuing as normal.
Indicating he was unable to divulge much information due to confidentiality regulations, Fr Augustine admitted he was aware of the incident.
He said, “I am telling you this has happened, yes, but this is as far as we are able to say.”
The Holy Ghost Fathers has authority for three schools, namely St Mary’s College; Fatima College; and St Anthony’s College.
Pressed to say more on the matter, Fr Augustine said, “In issues like this, there are guidelines that must be followed.”
“As a school, we are subject to all those guidelines in terms of investigation and going through proper procedures both in terms of protecting the child and also to protect the teacher in the sense that justice must be done.”
Claiming that, “All of that was adhered to and followed,” Fr Augustine confirmed the student continued to attend classes as he declared, “This is where we are now.”
Officials close to the matter confirmed that at least two investigations had been conducted at the level of the school authorities—with statements being gathered from the student; the school’s counselor; and also the school’s principal Nigel Joseph.
Calls to Joseph’s cellphone yesterday went unanswered.
Fr Augustine said in addition to the investigations by the school, the Ministry of Education would also have conducted their own investigation before submitting certain recommendations to the TSC.
He advised, “People don’t play around with serious matters like this.”
Asked what kind of reassurances he could offer parents of other students attending their schools, Fr Augustine said, “We are responsible. We have been in this business for years. In any organisation, if something comes to light, it has to be investigated properly. You can’t act on a whim or hearsay. We are a responsible people, we know what our job is and there was no pussyfooting around this.”
“This has come to light and we had to deal with this.”
Faced with the possibility that there may be more incidents of a similar nature that have not yet been reported and may soon surface, Fr Augustine reiterated, “If it be so, we will act as the information comes to us.”
Efforts to contact Education Minister Anthony Garcia for a comment proved futile.
Other officials lamented that it was a horrible situation and one which had left them wondering “If there were any survivors among the boys.”
