Lead Editor–Newsgathering
kejan.haynes@guardian.co.tt
Nutrien’s strategic review of its Trinidad Nitrogen operations is continuing, with representatives from third-party organisations expected to conduct site visits at the Point Lisas facility this week.
The visits form part of Nutrien’s ongoing evaluation of the future of its Trinidad operation, which has remained shut down since a controlled shutdown in October last year.
Guardian Media has been made aware of documents circulated internally to employees which indicate that third-party site visits are taking place as part of the review.
The document, dated last Monday, said Nutrien continues to evaluate “all strategic options” for the facility, including the exploration of a potential sale.
It also makes clear that no decision has been made and that the review has “no predetermined outcome”.
Nutrien’s vice president and managing director of Trinidad Nitrogen, Edmond Thompson, told employees that third-party site visits would take place as part of the process.
“While there are currently no decisions to share, we want to keep you informed about important developments as they occur,” Thompson said.
He acknowledged that the visits could generate questions or speculation among employees, but stressed that they did not signal a particular outcome from the review.
“This does not signal any specific outcome,” Thompson said.
Employees were told to continue focusing on their day-to-day responsibilities and safe operations while the review continues.
Nutrien, in response to questions from Guardian Media, confirmed representatives from third-party organisations would visit the site but declined to identify the organisations involved or provide details about any discussions.
“To maintain the integrity of the process and protect the confidentiality of all parties involved, we do not comment on the identity of potential interested parties, or the nature of any discussions,” Nutrien said.
Nutrien previously said it was evaluating options for its Trinidad Nitrogen operations, including a potential sale of the facility.
The company has not indicated whether any potential buyer has emerged or whether a sale is being actively negotiated.
For now, Nutrien says the review remains ongoing and that no decision has been made on the future of the Point Lisas facility.
The company has maintained its 322 full-time employee positions while the review continues.
