Senior Reporter
kevon.felmine@guardian.co.tt
With the Opposition raising several concerns about Snr Supt Suzette Martin’s suitability for Deputy Commissioner of Police position, Police Social Welfare Association President (PSWA) ASP Gideon Dickson says Government needs to review the selection process as the parliamentary discourse can affect officers’ reputations.
Parliament approved Martin’s nomination on Monday following a debate in the House of Representatives. A vote passed with Government’s majority in favour, while the Opposition rejected it.
Earlier on, Oropouche East MP Dr Roodal Moonilal highlighted that Martin was involved in the Brent Thomas debacle, has allegations of misconduct against her and is currently before the court on a dangerous driving charge.
Dickson said the discussion was consistent with the selection process. However, the PSWA believes the process brings a public servant into the limelight, where people can make allegations and statements that can tarnish officers’ careers. Dickson said many candidates worked over 25 years in the Police Service (TTPS) and earned their status through meritocracy. These aspiring officers have families, communities, and friends who see them as professionals. He said politicians, the Chief of Defence Staff, and the Commissioner of Prisons do not endure the same level of scrutiny.
“You are now taking them through the scrutiny of the Parliament, and people say anything which could be interpreted as negative and leave a sour taste in a people’s mouths. Those are things that could deter other would-be candidates from even entering the process,” Dickson said.
Moonilal questions conduct
Moonilal presented the judgment of Justice Devindra Rampersad, dated April 25, 2023, in the constitutional challenge Thomas brought against the State. He said the court found that Martin was one of three officers who went to Barbados and unlawfully detained and abducted Thomas and returned him to T&T.
“ACP Birch and those who were involved on the day, including Snr Supt Martin and Cpl Joefield, have not faced sanctions for their clearly and admittedly unlawful acts as police officers as far as this court has been informed, and they have been able to continue in their offices without investigation to my mind. That is a shameful blot on this country,” Moonilal read.
He told Parliament he also received copies of memorandums from 2023, in which a senior police officer made allegations against Martin. The subject read: Alleged attempt by a senior officer to pervert the course of justice. Moonilal said it detailed concerns about Martin’s conduct in instructing a sergeant concerning a particular issue in a Firearm User Licence (FUL) investigation.
Moonilal said he did not have a concluding report and did not want to venture deep into the allegations.
He also recalled that police charged Martin with dangerous driving in October 2023 following a road traffic accident in April 2023 when her vehicle struck a 14-year-old schoolboy along the Priority Bus Route in San Juan. He said this was a serious offence.
Guardian Media contacted Martin yesterday, but she was in a meeting.
Hinds: These are just allegations
Minister of National Security Fitzgerald Hinds responded, saying Thomas brought a constitutional motion to the court. He noted the citizens brought hundreds of similar actions against the State over the decades. However, Hinds did not go further, saying the matter was sub judice because the State appealed Rampersad’s decision.
Regarding alleged misconduct, Hinds said Moonilal described it correctly as allegations. “Sufficed to say, I happen to know the officer personally, something I would not place too much stock on. I, too, relied on the documentation that would have come to me. I, too, would have had an opportunity to see the officer at work over many years.
“Most of all, I admit that on this occasion, I would have consulted with the senior ranks of the TTPS. I can tell you that I gleaned and gathered that there is support for Ms Martin. No objection whatsoever in this regard for those discussions,” Hinds said.
Regarding the dangerous driving charge, Hinds said the Government and TTPS are aware of the issue, and the matter is before the court.
Rejected candidate willing to work with Martin
Despite Parliament inexplicably rejecting his nomination, ACP Wendell Lucas says he will support Martin. The Government voted against Lucas’ nomination, although he was the Police Service Commission’s (PolSC) top-ranked candidate. In an interview yesterday, Lucas stated that he did not have a reason for his rejection. Despite this, he has accepted his situation and is thankful to the PolSC for nominating him. Lucas said he has no control over the decision but will continue to serve the TTPS.
“I am still a member of the TTPS and will serve in whatever area or capacity until that time the Commissioner of Police sees fit.
It is a disciplined service. As I said, once I am a member of the TTPS, I maintain the level of discipline that service requires. If it means I have to work and support the new DCP, so be it,” Lucas said.
