Joshua Seemungal
Senior Investigative Journalist
Just one day after Joshua Samaroo’s father, Christopher Samaroo, told Guardian Media that he was shell-shocked and in disbelief that his daughter-in-law, Kaia Sealy, had been accused of killing his son, he has now made a stunning reversal.
Samaroo said his opinion changed after the family’s attorney, Criston J Williams, explained the likely meaning of the charges to be laid against Sealy on Friday.
Samaroo’s sister, Christine, and father now believe the allegations put forward by the TTPS that Sealy was somehow involved in Joshua’s killing.
“I’ve been informed that she’s allegedly known in the TTPS system as Gangsta Barbie... I have to go with what I’m seeing. Until she is brought before the court, I just have to go with it,” Joshua’s sister, Christine, said.
On Thursday, the TTPS announced that a directive from the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), Roger Gaspard, was handed down for a series of criminal charges to be laid in the matter and that several warrants had been issued for the arrest of Sealy.
The release said, “Acting on the advice of the DPP, investigators conducted further enquiries and obtained warrants for the arrest of Kaia Sealy of Bamboo Settlement No. 1, Valsayn, for the following offences: Three counts of shooting with intent to cause grievous bodily harm at the police, contrary to Section 12 of the Offences Against the Person Act, Chapter 11:08, in relation to the incident which occurred on January 20th, 2026, at the corner of College Road and Bassie Street Extension, St Augustine.
“Additionally, a warrant has been issued for the offence of: Manslaughter, contrary to common law, in that on January 20th, 2026, at the corner of College Road and Bassie Street Extension, St Augustine, Kaia Sealy unlawfully killed Joshua Samaroo, in addition to other related charges.”
According to Christine, she developed suspicions about Kaia shortly after the shooting, but had been persuaded to drop them.
“Even when it first happened with my brother, I was hearing certain speculation about Kaia. I would have sent Kaia a picture. I don’t know if you remember, there was a guy who was sending threats to the family and threats to Kaia to finish her off, I sent a picture of the guy. This person’s alias is Dougla. I said to Kaia, ‘Can you please confirm whether this is this guy, Dougla, that you’ll went to check in Maloney (before the shooting)?’ She said, ‘No, that’s not him.’ After that, she blocked me on all social media platforms, Instagram, TikTok, WhatsApp, everything.
“I sent it (the same picture) to someone who limes with Dougla (and Kaia). They (the person and Dougla) limed together the night before the shooting. I said, ‘Can you please confirm if this is Dougla, whom Joshua went to check in Maloney?’ and he said, ‘Yes, that is him.’ So I wondered to myself, why is Kaia lying to me? I told my father and sister. They were saying to stop pushing that narrative, and honestly, I let it go. I let my gut feeling go... We didn’t want to dwell on it, because we were waiting for it to fizzle out and wait for it to come to light,” she said.
Dougla, an American-born former member of the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force, is allegedly a Seven gang member located in Maloney Gardens.
On Instagram, he reportedly threatened Sealy and the close relatives of Joshua Samaroo after the January 20 killing, claiming to be an active TTPS officer.
His claims of being a TTPS officer could not be verified by the Guardian Media Investigations Desk.
In the messages, he claimed relatives of Samaroo and Sealy were seeking information on him through fake profiles.
Sealy’s statement
According to police, the January 20 shooting began with a police chase in Maloney Gardens.
Sealy, in a statement given to police in early February, said she and Samaroo stopped in Maloney Gardens before school pickup for their child.
She said Samaroo stopped to speak with someone, and she heard him say, “Don’t bother” to the person, before reversing.
“Almost immediately, a marked police vehicle moved in front of our car. An officer exited the police vehicle with a firearm drawn. Joshua reversed away. I then observed the same young man who had approached our vehicle (presumably to speak with Joshua) enter the police vehicle, after which the police vehicle pursued us.
“...I was extremely frightened and pleaded with Joshua to stop because I was afraid we would crash... He continued driving and kept saying words to the effect of ‘it’s okay, don’t worry.’... While turning onto a back street, the vehicle skidded and collided with a galvanised fence. Upon impact, I began screaming... Joshua said words to the effect of ‘okay, okay,’ and he lowered the driver-side window and put both of his hands outside the window. At that point, police officers began firing into the vehicle,” the statement read.
The distance between Maloney Gardens and St Augustine is approximately 11 kilometres, meaning it would take, on average, between 12 and 20 minutes to drive.
Unanswered questions
Since the decision to lay charges against Sealy was announced, there has been outrage on social media, from criminologists, politicians, and others about the police actions in the Joshua Samaroo shooting. But several critical questions remain without answers: What was the reason for Samaroo and Sealy’s visit to Maloney Gardens? Who did they meet in Maloney? Why did the police begin to chase them? Why did they not stop the vehicle?
While those questions remain unanswered for now, Christine believes the truth is now indeed just starting to come to light.
“I want justice for my brother, he’s already dead. I just want to be able to walk out my door safely, because I don’t know who she knows... I am scared for my life,” Christine added.
Her father, Christopher, agreed with her, saying he had complete faith in his attorney’s explanation of the charges.
“Though what I am hearing is not what I want to hear, I have to go with what he’s saying... As much as I don’t like what I am hearing, I have to go with it because sometimes the truth can be offensive.
“I’ll have to go with what she (Christine) says, because this is the first time that I am hearing about it. I don’t have any other alternative. I have faith in the process and, if she is guilty, let her be prosecuted, and if she is not guilty, let her be found innocent, and let justice be done,” he said.
Meanwhile, the family’s attorney, CJ Williams, also expressed confidence in the process.
He called on the State to initiate formal steps to have Kaia extradited to Trinidad and Tobago from the United States to face the charges.
“We hope she is found, wherever she is found, and returned to Trinidad and Tobago and prosecuted in accordance with the full laws of Trinidad and Tobago,” he said.
Sealy is currently in the United States receiving medical treatment.
Williams said, based on the charges laid, it seems as though, yet again, members of the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service were allegedly used to execute an extrajudicial killing.
“As far as I am concerned, this is not the first, second or third time they’re saying police officers are involved in extrajudicial killings. This whole thing is an extrajudicial killing, where the TTPS was used, and now we have a pretty young lady, who the DPP is saying is the cause of this.”
Yesterday, Sealy released a statement saying she was innocent.
She denied being involved in crime saying she was not a gangster and had never been in trouble with the law.
Kaia’s family, friend rush
to her defence
Guardian Media Investigations Desk spoke with friends and a relative of Sealy on Thursday evening, and they all expressed shock and concern with the TTPS’ decision to charge her.
A close female relative said, “All we can do is just pray at this time, because all the video cameras indicated the murder by the police officers. They have no case and are trying to turn it around, but my God shall give us justice.
“We wish to be in quiet time with our Lord in prayer at this time.”
Meanwhile, Sealy’s friend, Alyssa Phillip, called on the Commissioner of Police, Allister Guevarro, to resign.
She said her friend was incapable of committing the crimes she was accused of, describing her as a kind, loving, generous and praying person who excelled as a professional hairdresser.
“Never in a million years… But I think it’d give her some comfort in knowing that there are people standing up for her, although those in charge are against her.
“I believe that people should come out (to the protest in Port-of-Spain on Sunday) because this is blatant corruption being played out in our faces, and we cannot let it slide, else those in power would continue to take advantage of us, and nothing will ever change. The next Kaia could be any one of us, so let us prevent a situation where anyone else has to be the next Kaia,” she said.
A protest in support of Sealy will take place today outside the TTPS Administration Building in Port-of-Spain.
Manslaughter charges explained
Nobody, outside the scope of the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service’s (TTPS) investigation into Joshua Samaroo’s police-involved killing, saw it coming—a manslaughter charge that Sealy unlawfully killed her partner, Samaroo.
Three counts of shooting with intent to cause grievous bodily harm at the police.
As expressed in a multitude of social media posts, people were left bewildered and/or angered by their interpretations of what the TTPS was saying, or attempting to say, in its release.
Guardian Media Investigations Desk sought an explanation from attorneys about what it means, or could mean, when an individual is charged with manslaughter, contrary to common law, as Sealy was.
Attorneys, who wished to speak off the record, said the offence, inherited from the English common law system, refers to the unlawful killing of someone that is less serious than murder.
They gave the example of someone committing a reckless act leading to a death that they did not intend, such as motor vehicle manslaughter.
Voluntary Manslaughter—The defendant has the intent to kill or cause grievous bodily harm, but the grade of the defence is reduced by a partial defence. In T&T, there are two partial defences under the Offences Against the Person Act, Chapter 11:08: Provocation—the defendant lost self-control because of provocative conduct by the deceased; and Diminished Responsibility—the defendant was suffering from impaired mental function.
Involuntary Manslaughter—The defendant does not have the intent to kill. In T&T, there are two types recognised under common law. Firstly, Gross Negligence Manslaughter—the defendant caused death via a breach of duty of care; and secondly, Unlawful Act—the defendant causes death by committing an unlawful and dangerous act even if death was not the intent.
Attorneys advised that they could not give a fair interpretation of the manslaughter charge without knowing the evidence used to support it.
They said there were multiple possible reasons for the charge.
As an example, they said there is a law for someone to be charged with manslaughter if they were the getaway driver or passenger in a vehicle that was used in a robbery ending in a death.
After the January 20 shooting, a warrant was granted to search Sealy’s electronic devices.
In February, Sealy’s attorneys successfully challenged the TTPS’s confiscation of the devices, and they were eventually returned.
The legal claim sought to assert that there was no evidential basis linking Sealy’s electronic devices to the alleged firearm offence arising from the incident.
It was on January 23, three days after the shooting, that security surveillance footage from a home nearby was uploaded online.
The video showed a vehicle crashing, at high speed, into a wall at the corner of the street.
Three police officers from the police vehicle that was in pursuit exit and approach Samaroo’s vehicle.
On the driver’s side, Samaroo is seen rolling down the window and putting his hands out, presumably to signal that he was not armed.
The footage does not show, at any point, what Kaia Sealy was doing in the passenger’s seat.
The officers opened fire, killing Samaroo and injuring Sealy.
According to Samaroo’s autopsy report, he died from shock and haemorrhage, polytrauma and multiple gunshot injuries.
The evidence of injuries stated that he received gunshot entry wounds to the left side of his head, his right cheek, his upper back and left elbow.
There were multiple lacerations, presumably from gunshot wounds, to the right side of his head, his right arm, upper back, lower back, right elbow and lower thigh.
Sealy suffered injuries to her spine, resulting in reported paralysis.
The officers involved claimed they were shot at and that they recovered a gun from the vehicle.
Sealy denied that claim.
