Attorney General John Jeremie says an unsanitised copy of the Report of the Commission of Enquiry into the Urban Development Corporation of T&T (Udecott) and the construction sector will be laid in the Senate on Tuesday.
He confirmed that during yesterday's post-Cabinet news conference at the Diplomatic Centre, St Ann's.
The report was presented by commission chairman Prof John Uff on Monday to President George Maxwell Richards. Prime Minister Patrick Manning subsequently received the report. "The Government does not intend to sanitise the report. The report is going to be laid as is on Tuesday next," Jeremie added. He said citizens should await the public release of the report before trying to determine what action would be required. Jeremie said, however, that the Government had accepted the report. The AG also denied any truth in media reports which claimed that the police were being frustrated in their efforts to reach former Udecott executive chairman Calder Hart, who resigned and left the country after discussions with Prime Minister Patrick Manning last month. Two criminal probes have been initiated against Hart. Jeremie said forensic accountant Robert Lindquist is leading one relating to two projects, the Brian Lara Stadium at Torouba and the Ministry of Legal Affairs Towers, Port-of-Spain. The other is being carried out on the advice of the Director of Public Prosecutions relating to allegations of perjury by Hart.
In confirming that Hart did not meet the expected March 31 date for his return to Port-of-Spain, the AG said the former top executive was under no obligation to return home. "Mr Hart is a private citizen. He is under no obligation to come until the police require him. They do not require him," Jeremie added in response to questions yesterday. He said, however, he had been in "regular contact" with acting Commissioner of Police James Philbert and the senior investigating officer of the Anti-Corruption Investigations Bureau (ACIB) on the matter.
"They have both advised me that at this time there is no need to speak with Mr Hart (and) as such Mr Hart had not been requested to return to speak with the police," the AG added. He said media reports about Hart's whereabouts not being known were false. Asked if he knew where Hart was now staying, Jeremie said: "Yes, we do. He has indicated to us, through his attorneys, details as to his contacts and his whereabouts and he has indicated a willingness to assist the police as and when the police require assistance." The AG added: "Mr Hart is an ordinary citizen in respect of whom there has been a great deal of speculation." He noted that the police probes were not yet completed "so that there can be no warrant to do anything with Mr Hart at this point in time. We can only go as quickly as the police can carry us." The AG was asked to respond to questions on the state of investigations into the authenticity of the documents supplied to police by the Congress of the People (COP), which allegedly confirmed that Hart was related to two officials of Sunway, a company which got a multi-million dollar contract to construct the Legal Affairs Towers.
Hart has repeatedly denied being related to any of the officials at the company. Jeremie said: "The Central Authority and Interpol have made a series of requests of their counterpart agencies in Malaysia. I think that there were seven requests. "As of yesterday, to my knowledge they had received information with respect to four limbs of the request, so that means that three limbs are outstanding. That is as much as I can say on that matter."