West Indies’ young pacer Jayden Seales is expected to make a full return to competition within the next couple of weeks with new franchise Parakeet Buccaneers who picked him up in the draft for the fourth edition of the Dream XI T10 Trinidad Blast Tournament.
Buccaneers one of two new franchises announced Seales as one of their five Marquee players before Monday’s official draft took place at the Alloy Lequay Administration Centre of the National Cricket Centre at Balmain, Couva. The other new club is Rugetters.
The other four players were Evin Lewis, Kjorn Ottley, Christopheer Vincent and Leonardo Julien.
Each team will comprise The team comprise 14 players at the eight-team tournament scheduled to be played from June 9 to 24 at the Brian Lara Cricket Academy at Tarouba.
Seales, 21, has taken 37 Test wickets at an average of 24.24, before he required surgery following a torn meniscus in his left knee during the Test tour of Australia which the Windies lost 2-0 in 2022/23.
Seales played the first game in Perth in November/December, bowling 21 overs in the first innings and grabbing one for 95. He bowled just three in the second innings and did not feature in the second match, which was a day/night Test in Adelaide.
He was set to join Sussex in the County Championship and T20 Blast competitions but had to be replaced.
Also, highlighted in the draft was the announcement that the players will get an opportunity to play cricket in the United States.
Speaking during a virtual media conference on Monday, West Indies Men Lead selector, the Most Honourable Dr Desmond Haynes said that while the player was considered for the on-going A-Team tour of Bangladesh as well as the ICC Men’s World Cup Qualifiers to immediately follow, a decision was taken not to rush the fast bowler back into action.
He explained that, “What I can say about Jayden that we did consider him and then were told not to rush Jayden knowing that we are going into a Test series against India here in the next couple of months and we would like Jayden to recover fully so that he can feature in the series against India.”
Meanwhile, speaking on behalf of Cricket Council USA and its president Muhammad Ahmed Qureshi was cricket commentator/producer Vinode Mamchan who revealed that discussions have been ongoing between CCUSA and the T&T Cricket Board.
“The objective is to deepen ties between both organizations and offer more opportunities for the cricketers who excel in the Dream XI T10 Trinidad Blast. CCUSA organizes several competitions all around the continental USA so it is something for the cricketers to work towards,” said Mamchan.
The possibility of engaging in other cricket-related activities with CCUSA was confirmed by TTCB president Azim Bassarath who is also the newly elected unopposed vice-president of Cricket West Indies.
Earlier this year Bassarath hosted CCUSA president Qureshi on a tour of the Balmain facility and the successful Pakistani-born American entrepreneur left very impressed with a pledge to cement cricket ties.
At Monday’s draft, representatives expressed satisfaction with the process used to finalize their 14-member squad with Fides Limited Scarlet Ibis Scorchers, Soca Kings, and Steelpan Players quintet of retained players coming away well positioned.
Steelpan Players have in their line-up experienced spinner Imran Khan, former West Indies captain/wicketkeeper Denesh Ramdin, Red Force batsman Jyd Goolie and young batsman Isaiah Rajah.
The Soca Kings will be relying on solid middle-order batsman Jason Mohammed, IPL’s Kolkata Knight Riders mystery spinner Sunil Narine, and batting prodigy Kirstan Kallicharan.
Fides Limited Scarlet Ibis Scorchers appears on paper a combination to put them in contention with the trio of national cricketers comprising spinners Khary Pirerre and Bryan Charles, allrounder Tion Webster along with Kamil Pooran who has impressed this season with the bat.
