Guyana-born T&T senior men’s football team defender Aubrey David was ranked as the fifth most active outfield player worldwide for players at the club and senior national team level internationally for the 2021 calendar year.
This was stated via the www.football-observatory.com website which released its results on the men’s outfield players with the most minutes played worldwide.
The 31-year-old David who plies his trade with record 36-time Costa Rica champions Deportivo Saprissa accumulated a total of 5,847 minutes from a combined 67 matches for club and country en route to being named the 2021 T&T Football Federation “Senior Sportsman of the Year” awardee.
During the 12 months of 2021, David’s minutes were split between nine international appearances for the national men’s football team in 2022 Qatar FIFA World Cup Qualifiers (four), Concacaf Gold Cup Preliminary Round Qualifiers (two), and three Concacaf Gold Cup Group Stage matches.
The 58 matches contested for Deportivo Saprissa by David in which he was shown a yellow card five times without being dismissed includes matches in Concacaf League, Costa Rica Primera, and the Super Cup triumph to kick off the season, a 4-1 beating of Alajuelense.
Among the notable players on the ‘top ten’ David tallied more minutes than were Germany and Chelsea FC European Champions League winner Antonio Rudiger; Barcelona FC and Holland defender Frenkie De Jong, Brazilian Gil Nascimento of SC Corinthians, West Ham United, and Czech Republic’s Tomas Soucek, and Brazilian Allan Rodrigues of Atletico Mineiro.
Heading the list of players who have featured the most minutes is Paraguayan Junior Alonso of Brazilian club Atletico Mineiro with 6,641 minutes from 74 matches for club and country.
Some distance in the second spot is Italian Giovanni Di Lorenzo of SSC Napoli with 5,945 minutes from 68 matches, closely followed by Portugal and Manchester City defender Ruben Dias with 5,944 minutes from 71 matches, with Atletico Goianiense of Brazil’s Eder Ferreira fourth with 5,882 minutes from 66 matches.
Top Ten Players in terms of minutes played in 2021 by outfield player:
Rank*Name*Club/Country*Minutes Played*Matches Played
1. Junior Alonso - Atletico Mineiro (Brazil)/Paraguay – 6,641 minutes – 74 matches
2. Giovanni Di Lorenzo - SSC Napoli (Italy)/ Italy – 5.9545 – 68
3. Ruben Dias – Manchester City (England)/Portugal – 5,944 – 71
4. Eder Ferreira – Atletico Goianiense (Brazil) – 5,882 – 66
5. Aubrey David – Deportivo Saprissa (Costa Rica)/T&T – 5,847 - 67
6. Antonio Rudiger – Chelsea FC (England)/Germany – 5,835 – 65
7. Frenke De Jong – FC Barcelona (Spain)/Holland – 5,805 – 68
8. Gil Nascimento - SC Corinthians (Brazil) – 5,779 - 66
9. Tomas Soucek – West Ham United (England)/Czech Republic – 5,772 – 67
10. Allan Rodrigues – Atletico Mineiro (Brazil) – 5757 – 71