A High Court Judge will have to decide whether the public is entitled to know the names of police officers found guilty of disciplinary offences including dishonesty.
Delivering a decision earlier this month, High Court Judge Avason Quinlan-Williams granted leave for the High Tide Project, a regional non-profit organisation that seeks to promote transparency in public institutions including the T&T Police Service (TTPS), to pursue a judicial review lawsuit over the issue.
In the lawsuit, the organisation is claiming the Commissioner of Police acted illegally when he refused to disclose the names of such officers in response to a request made by the organisation under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
It is also alleging that the Commissioner’s claim that there was no public interest in disclosing the information was unreasonable and his handling of the request was in conflict with the FOIA.
Through the lawsuit, the organisation is seeking declarations and an order compelling the requested disclosure.
In an affidavit attached to the lawsuit, director and founder of the organisation Lee Merry sought to explain why he felt the disclosure is vital.
“The benefits of granting access to the information is clear-greater public trust in the TTPS, greater accountability, deterrence of similar conduct by other members of the TTPS in future,” Merry said.
He also rejected claims from the TTPS that the disclosure would be prejudicial to officers who had already faced disciplinary proceedings.
“The damage that arises, if any, relates solely to the individual officer himself. Police officers enjoy unique powers and their positions afford opportunities for abuse. They must expect greater scrutiny as a result,” Merry said.
Merry claimed that from his experience as a State prosecutor, lack of public trust and confidence in the TTPS is endemic.
“Abuse of power in the police service is rife. There is a perception amongst many members of the public that many, if not most police officers are corrupt and that they look out for their own,” he said.
Merry used the example of a recent candidate for the post of Police Commissioner who was convicted of two disciplinary offences involving dishonesty while he was a Sergeant. Merry claimed the officer, who is currently a Superintendent, claimed he did not appeal his disciplinary convictions to ensure that his promotional prospects were not affected.
“This suggests that there was some sort of agreement between himself and the police hierarchy that if he does not appeal, his promotions would proceed unimpeded,” Merry said.
In July, the organisation revealed the disclosure it had received in relation to 254 criminal cases that were dismissed over the past five years due to delinquent police officers.
Of the 254 cases that were investigated for dismissal because of the non-appearance or lack of readiness of police officers, approximately 38 per cent were cases involving serious criminal offences including firearm possession, cocaine trafficking, shooting with intent and attempted murder.
The organisation also noted that the statistics they received, which was divided into 17 police divisions and units, showed that the highest number of dismissed cases investigated came from the North Eastern and Western Divisions.
The statistics also revealed that some identified officers were responsible for several dismissed cases within their unit/division that were investigated. One officer from the Western Division had responsibility for 14 cases that were dismissed.
The organisation is being represented by Larry Boyer and Randall Hector.
Its lawsuit is expected to come up for case management on September 15.
