T&T's Sambo team of Keron Bourne, Latisha Gill and Lashawn Sladden will miss out on the World Championships Sambo, scheduled to begin today in Serbia. It will run until Sunday.
Despite having a very successful record competing abroad, the trio alongside coach Warren Gill and Jason Fraser, the head of the delegation, decided to listen to the voice of reason from their coach to skip the tournament because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The decision was made in early October following a meeting of the coach and the technical team.
Yesterday, during an interview at the Piarco International Airport, Fraser who is a vice president at the Pan American Sambo Association, as well as the Commonwealth Sambo Association, told Guardian Media Sports that it was agreed to put the safety of the athletes and officials first, particularly at a time when there is no vaccine available.
"It was a very hurtful decision to make since T&T has never missed out on a World Championship event since 2012. Too besides, the team has not trained since March, which was before the first lockdown for COVID-19, so we felt that the team would not have been properly prepared for the event in any way," Fraser explained.
To date, the T&T team has been to all the World Championships since 2012 when it was held in Belarus. Since then the team participated at the World Championships in Russia (2013); Japan (2014), Morocco (2015); Romania (2016); Bulgaria (2017); Russia (2018) and in South Korea last year.
According to Fraser, who is also the T&T Sambo Association president, the country has always done well in the past at the championship and does not want to drop its standard now, due to the coronavirus.
Strangely though, Bourne who is fresh from claiming victory at the Virtual Online Pan Am Championship a few months ago is set to be ready physical action. The competition was just done using the theory of the sport.
Fraser said Bourne, the 62 kg Combat Sports fighter, is ready to prove his worth to the international sambo community, having already won medals and trophies at nearly every event he has competed in. Bourne won gold at the Pan Am Championship in the Dominican Republic last year, won gold at the President's Cup Tournament in Ireland in 2018 and placed fifth at the World Championship in Morocco in 2015, among many other achievements.
He partners with an equally talented team of Gill, who represented the country at the World Championship in South Korea, the Pan Am in the Dominican Republic and the Caribbean Combat Sports Championship where she won a silver medal: as well as Sladden, a gold medal winner at the President's Cup.
The 2020 World SAMBO Championships will be held in the city of Novi Sad (Serbia) and the tournament will be combined with the Youth and Junior World Championships.
More than 400 athletes from 30 countries are expected to take part in the main sporting event of the FIAS calendar, including Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Venezuela, Greece, Dominican Republic, Indonesia, Spain, Italy, Cyprus, Colombia, Congo, Morocco, Mexico, Moldova, Russia, Romania, North Macedonia, Serbia, USA, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Ukraine, Philippines, France, Croatia, Estonia, South Africa.
FIAS president Vasily Shestakov, in a release, said: "The Organising Committee of the World Championships has made every effort to minimise the risks of illness among athletes at the main event of the year in the FIAS calendar. For this, all participants in the competition – from athletes and coaches to referees and medical personnel – will be required to strictly follow safety rules. The first step is to take a PCR test for COVID-19 72 hours before arriving in the Republic of Serbia. The next one is the creation of a 'clean zone' for all participants of the competition, excluding the appearance of strangers in it, that is, all movements in Serbia will take place exclusively between the hotel and the arena. Well, it is obvious that under these conditions the tournament will be held without spectators.”
