Soca Warriors captain and Cardiff City striker, Kenwyne Jones has hinted that the ongoing dispute between Minister of Sport and former national defender Brent Sancho and T&T Football Association president Raymond Tim Kee could force the current crop of players to quit the senior team.
The Stephen Hart-coached Soca Warriors are currently on a high and whipping Guatemala 3-1 and Cuba 2-0 in their first two 2015 Concacaf Gold Cup matches in the USA to qualify for the quarterfinals for the first time ahead of their final group match which was against powerhouse Mexico last night.
A win or draw for the T&T squad (six points) against Mexico (four points) will see T&T top a round-robin group for the first in the competition ahead of the quarterfinals, where they were ousted two years ago after a 1-0 loss to Mexico.
However, depending on how far the T&T team reaches in the tournament, it could well be the last for coach Hart and the core of players, who from all reports have grown very frustrated over the constant public spats between Sancho and Tim Kee, over financial support for the national team.
The latest feud erupted last week over the request from the TTFA for funding to assist with covering the team expenses at the Concacaf Gold Cup in the USA along with a request for match fees for the Women Soca Warriors for the Pan American Games in Canada.
Sancho in response stated that unless the TTFA and Tim Kee was more transparent in their dealings with regards to finances, his Ministry was not going to be supportive as it was in the past.
In a release to the media on the weekend, the TTFA sought to clear the air with regards to a claim by Minister Sancho that the organisation was not forthcoming regarding funds received from Concacaf.
The release stated that Sancho said he was told by the T&TFA they only had "$13,000 (TT) in their account so they couldn't pay for visas for the Under-23 Team," said Sancho, "but one of the challenges we have is gauging what they have and what they don't have because we got information that they received US$100,000 from Concacaf.
"Then, when they knew we were aware of it, they said they would get the money at the end of July. Then, when we asked why preparatory money would only be available after the tournament, they came back and said they would get it by the end of the week," ended Sancho."
The TTFA in response refuted those statement and issued a press release that shed-light on the Minister's accusations.
Last of current national team?
And yesterday via his Facebook page, captain Kenwyne Jones with a keen eye on what was taking place back home wrote on his status post: "This ain't no way a threat or disrespect to no one but chances are really high that this could be the last time they see this national team together sad but the reality...enough has been too much."
A former striker in another post on Jones' page stated: "Again what's going on with our national team is nothing new. Pulling out results and great performances out our asses without funding and proper preparation."
In response Kenwyne Jones wrote: "there will never be peace in the squad whther I'm there or not," (followed by three cry faces and #YuhThinkItEasy)
As early as 8.23am on Tuesday morning, Jones who by then had read about the exchanges between TTFA president Raymond Tim Kee and his former World Cup colleague, Brent Sancho stated: "Morning, so, while the feud continues, the football suffers, note TT anytime we fall short in something its always a funding issue, if this doesn't stop it can be the end of progress....egos aside put the football first..or leave the relevant offices held..."
The status quote received 180 likes with 35 comments and followed link shared by Jones headlined..Sancho says no more funding for T&TFA...unless.
In fact, Jones was aware of the situation between both the T&TFA and Minister of Sport Brent Sancho which was playing out in the media and stated on his facebook page: "We play we fight....support from the relevant body ?...still outstanding smfh..."(106 likes and 11 comments)
Just last December on the eve of the Caribbean Football Union Cup final against host Jamaica in Montego Bay, Jones was also a key man in the senior team threatened boycott of the match over the non-payment of salaries, stipends and bonuses to players and technical staff alike.